Rev. Widman Portrait Returned to SCCS
For many years a beautiful, hand painted portrait of Rev. Joseph S. Widman graced the walls of the original school building. Widman was St. Mary’s 14th Pastor and was appointed in April of 1902. In 1906, he began work on a new school building which would become St. Mary Central Catholic High School. Work was completed in January 1910 for a cost of $113,400.
Rev. Widman was inducted into the SMCC Hall of Fame on January 17 for his work with the school. In preparations for the induction ceremony, Hall of Fame Committee members Gary Erney and Rose Nath went in search of the missing portrait. Gary was certain the portrait was on display during his time as a student in the 50’s and 60’s, but students from the 80’s could not recall it. Their search led them to the Church attic where it was found stored in a box among other artifacts. Don Nath, who served as the high school art teacher for some time, took on the task of cleaning up and restoring the piece. Once completed, the Hall of Fame Committee had the portrait reframed and presented it to the school so it may once again be displayed.